Guidelines for semen analyses / Post-vasectomy analyses
Semen analysis is done on appointment only and samples can only be submitted at certain Lancet Laboratories.
Please see “Service points” as well as the “Cost of the test” below and then phone us during office hours for an appointment (see contact numbers below).
- Abstain from all sexual activity (including masturbation) for a minimum of 3 days but not longer than 7 days before sample collection.
- Please produce the specimen at home. A sterile container is needed for semen collection and can be collected from any Lancet Laboratory close to you. Ask for a “urine container”.
- The sample should be collected by masturbation and ejaculation of the semen directly into this container. The whole ejaculate must be collected.
- Close the lid tightly after collection to prevent leakage. Do not wrap the container in anything.
- Do NOT use soaps, detergents, water, lubricants or condoms to help with specimen collection as these may affect the results.
- No sex should be involved during specimen collection.
- Semen must NOT be exposed to temperature fluctuations. It must be kept body temperature till it is submitted to the lab. Ideally, keep the sample close to your body (inside the trousers’ pocket). Do NOT heat or refrigerate the sample.
- The sample must arrive at the laboratory within 1 ½ hour of being produced.
- If you had a vasectomy, please allow at least 8 weeks after the operation before you give a specimen to be tested.
Cost of the test:
Semen analysis: R1300 and Post vasectomy test: R250
No medical aids are accepted. Please claim from your medical aid afterwards.
If you are in Gauteng please book your test at the following number:
012 664 8596
(regardless of which lab below you choose to go)
Specimens can be submitted at the following laboratories:
In Johannesburg :
Flora Clinic – 14 ave, Roodepoort (Lancet Laboratory on Lower Ground Floor, use Main Entrance)
Thursdays only between 7:00 – 8:30 am
Glynwood Hospital – Corner of Harrison & Princess st, Benoni (Lancet Laboratory on Ground Floor in the hospital)
Wednesdays only between 7:00 – 8:30 am
Morningside Mediclinic – Rivonia rd, Morningside (Lancet Laboratory at Rochester Place, Block A, ground floor – next to Morningside Mediclinic)
Tuesdays only between 7:00 – 8:30 am
Lancet Laboratories Corner – Corner of Stanley & Menton rd, Richmond, Auckland Park (Please submit at “Patient Reception” in Menton rd.)
Mon – Fri between 7:00 – 8:00 am
Unitas Hospital – Lifestyle Management Park (next to the hospital), Unit 4, 2nd floor, Room 212.
Mon-Fri between 8:00 – 10:00 am
Louis Pasteur Hospital – 8th floor, room 835.
Mon-Fri between 7:00 – 9:00 am
Urology Hospital – Cnr of Grosvenor st & Pretorius st, Hatfield.
Mon-Fri between 8:00 – 9:00 (Only for post-vasectomy specimens)
You can also have the test done at the following locations which you can contact at the numbers given below:
KZN (Durban) – 031 308 6558/29/00
Cape Town – 021 673 1700
Polokwane – 015 294 0406
Nelspruit – 013 752 8407
Tzaneen – 015 307 4849
Rustenburg – 014 597 8510
Potchefstroom – 018 293 8260